Search This Blog

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Bob's your uncle, Bob's your dad

A father is someone who carries pictures in his wallet where his money used to be ~ author unknown


I grew up in a big family and many of my childhood memories look like this ...


... lots of kids and four brave parents, two of them dads named Bob - one my own dad, and one my Uncle Bob.


Because of  "the Bobs", I know a lot about what a dad should be: a dad is warm and kind, he spends time with you, he invests his money in his family (refer to opening quote), he tells you when you're going off track, he helps you get back on track, he leads by example, he does silly things, he laughs with his children when they point out those silly things, he loves his life and his wife and his children without reservation or boundary or time limit.

We (my brothers and sisters, cousins and I) have been fortunate to have had the wit and wisdom of "the Bobs" to support and guide us over many decades now - through good times and bad, they have always had our backs, and we have depended on them time and again to help us find our way.

This past week, my Uncle Bob passed away quite suddenly, leaving a hole in the family the size of his large and generous heart. But he didn't leave things undone. Every day, with words and actions, he let his family know how much he loved them. It's this final lesson from my Uncle Bob that I'm holding in my heart - to live my life fully and love my family extravagantly, to leave no room for regrets.

 
 
So on Father's Day, take time to show your dad you love him.
Leave no room for regrets.





3 comments:

  1. Wow, Sheila. I'm sorry for your loss. But what an amazing life imprint he made. Fabulous. I'm going to do my better-best at loving my family "extravagantly." (I have those sorts of memories too. They sustain.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam ... it was a great way to grow up & Uncle Bob was a great guy ... we're all missing him

      Delete